Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Appear from nowhere

I´ve traced my female ancestors back to Kerstin Svensdotter born in the late middle of the 17th century. She lived in the north of Småland where the nature still is very penuriously and wooded (did I use the right word?). Perhaps she got married 1688 and her husband was Per Larsson. They turned up from nowhere in the little village of Humlefall in 1689. According to the death book they had a son Måns, who died in 1696 only seven years old. Humlefall means a place where it grows hops. I think that Per had been married before, because there are two older girls, who could be his daughters. Per and Kerstin got six children in twelve years. One of them was Karin Persdotter, my grand grand grand grand grand grand grandmother. She was born in July 1692.
Fair enough Per passed away in the 1707 and Kerstin got her a younger husband Lars Larsson from the neighbour village. After a few years he took his new family and moved to a place called Amundeby in the province of Östergötland.
I think I have to explain the familyname that ended with -son. This sort of names are so-called patronymic names. The father of Per Larsson´s was Lars and Per was the son of Lars, therefore Per Larsson. Note the spelling with ss. Persdotter means Per`s daughter.

4 comments:

Claudia's Genealogy Blog said...

Are the patronymic names still used today? Your English is excellent and I can't speak a work of Swedish.

Ewa said...

No, patronymic names are not common nowadays. They have become family names.

Juliana said...

I am used to saying great great grandmother instead of grand grand grandmother. Maybe different in Swedish.

Interesting to read. I have learned much of my Swedish ancestry.

Ewa said...

Yes, Juliana you´re right. It´s great great...
Thanks for correcting me.