The church in Genarp was built in the years 1590-93 at the expense of the Danish King´s Privy Councillor Hack Ulfstand, who lived at Häckeberga Castle in the parish of Genarp in the province of Skåne. This province is the southernmost of Sweden and belonged until the year 1658 to the Kingdom of Denmark.
The church in Genarp is one of the biggest countrychurches in the province. And it´s for the main part built according to the late Gothic pattern.
The Renaissance character however is evident in the gables of the sacristy and the church porch. The altar dates from the later part of the 18th century and shows Jesus in Gethsemane.
This beautiful pulpet is from the end of the 16th century. We can imangine a preast speking for hours to a crowded church. Long time ago there were no seats in churches, so the people had to stand up during the preaching.
Nowadays there are not many people visiting the church on a common Sunday. Sometimes only about eigth to ten persons. So sadly.